Thursday, February 21, 2013

on my love for hats.

i've always been a lover of hats. starting in high school, i've been known for my winter hats. big, old, floppy, wooly hats. since college i've stuck with my big, oatmeal colored, wool winter hat with a huge pom-pom on it. it never fails to keep me warm and no one loses me in a crowd (to put it lightly). so on tuesday, when a co-worker got on the elevator and asked me if i had been near 19th street with a big hat on, i laughed and said - oh yes, my big hat with the pom-pom! he shook his head, said no, no - it was more like a sombrero.
oh yes. my new hat. we're still getting to know each other.
for awhile now i've wanted a hat with a wide brim. reminiscent of the 70's, the first time i saw someone wear one a couple of years ago i knew i had to have it. with most trends, like this one, i bided my time, making sure that feeling didn't fade. of course, i should have known - it's a hat, one of my favorite accessories, it's not gonna fade. i also convinced myself that the bonus of a hat like this is the protection your face gets from the sun (seriously though, that's a good bonus). so i decided to be on the lookout this winter for a good hat at a good price. on sunday i finally found one, and i wore it everywhere on monday. it was so new, i had forgotten i had been wearing it when my co-worker asked me about it. so i shook my head and said - no, don't think it was me in that sombrero. he and i decided i must have a twin somewhere in the city. yes - a secret twin, with one badass hat.
here are some other favorite variations on the hat i like so much, and...
Hats hats hats. I love hats.
1/2/3/4/5/6

here's my take on it (sombrero and all).

14 comments:

  1. I love your sombrero! Hahaha. I'm big on hats too. Lately, I've been really wanting a baseball cap. No logos or anything, just a plain cap. It's a sportier look than I'm used to, but I like the tomboyishness of it.

    I'd wear #1 and #6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - thank you! as for the baseball cap - you are right on trend. j. crew showed a maroon baseball cap in their fall 13 presentation. it had grey-ish rhinestones on half of the cap and brim - it was baller. so I say buy a baseball cap and start the trend yourself!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, this must be a case of great minds think alike because I am posting about my search for the perfect wool hat tomorrow! I have been looking on ebay but so far the choices are overpriced and cruddy! I have fallen in love with the Armani xchange beauty in no.1. Now, can I justify $58 on a hat? Probably!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. um yes - I think it's a great price for the hat. do it do it do it! I can't wait to see your post tomorrow haha. we are great minds ;)

      Delete
  3. Very cute! I love the red color. That is such a guy thing, to call that hat a sombrero! Cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - I know! I was dying of laughter on the inside.

      Delete
  4. A lovely selection. You have chosen well with the burgundy. I love hats on other people but I rarely wear one.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i really love the burgundy, too.

      Delete
  5. Love hats :) The one you have on you is great :) Actually love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I struggle with hats for myself but love this one on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hats and wore them all the time in Chicago (practically year-round too - there's some cute ones for the summer). But I don't wear them nearly as much now that I'm here in California. They're just sitting in my closet, waiting to go out and explore the city. You've inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still submit that the most fashionable of people are the ones who can wear hats and make them look GOOD - ie YOU

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love hats but cannot pull them off for the life of me. i think maybe my ears stick out or something equally atrocious, and i just don't look right. but you - now you can rock a hat! i love this one, and i don't think it's too big :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...